Saturday, May 15, 2010

E1*& together

I find myself sympathizing with yet another family of the fallen. I just do not know what else to say.... Mickey had 2 days left out here and then he was homeward bound. Fragile times to say the least....They struck an IED at the bottom of a stairwell as they were moving to the top of the roof. Composition of the patrol I cannot really elaborate on, however I can say they were hit during the ealry night and the dark offered no help during initial first aid. There was one uninjured soldier who provided first aid to # individuals and called in the air medevac. From accounts on the ground one of the injured, having 2 broken wrists, aided the initial first responder. I cannot even begin to imagine what those guys went through that night. All I know is that the soldier who provided first aid to his comrades deserves a medal......



I found myself watching Pte Todds repatriation video last night and my eyes began to well up with tears. That Highway of Heroes is one of the most humbling and heart wrenching strips of tar in our great country. I reckon one of the worst feelings is watching family members saying good bye to their sons or daughters and dreading the thought of my family saying good bye to me......

However....... not on this tour! On a much brighter note E1*& is evicted from our modest dwellings and pushed east, making much needed room for the new guys on the ground.... Handover is complete and I reckon we did a good job of it..... The rest is up to them....on that note, I do not wish this tour on any one of them.. They have their work cut out and I'd ask those of who blanketed us with prayer, extend the same courtesy to these good ole boys.....

The last week out here has been haywire.... almost everyday now an IED has been found or initiated. Looks like summers coming early..

Hawk and Riley completed their last patrol this morning, pushing into a small town to our north, in a way showing the new crew around for one last time.... As sure as dirt turns to dust the ANA found an RCIED on the footpath leading into town.... another one yesterday on the range where we frequently test fire and sight our weapons..... and the 13th when another D soldier lost their life......I can say with certainty that this place is a ticking bomb.... I was saying the other day that I would not want to know how many of these things failed to go off under my feet......

So, we've stepped up in accomodations.....well, not really... we head to KAF sometime in the next little while... There won't be any showering until then as the diesel truck opted to dump his fuel in our fresh water supply.... I managed to squeeze on in before the debaucle....

The assessments have been written up fo rthe guys... The section did in incredible job this tour!
I had a very simple task of writing this crew up and I've said it before, the section made it very simple as it ran itself....... I just hope that I'll get the chance to work with these guys back in Edmonton as I'm heading off to the training cadre of the regiment to spread my infinite wisdom.. haha.....anyway.... I figure I'll wrap this blog up back on Canadian soil.... I long for home and fiancees beautiful smile... one more blog to go from the bunk of chunk..........

4 comments:

  1. My hat goes off to you and all your guys. Your blog has touched many people. It specifically gives me a great sense of appreciation for the smaller things as well as the bigger picture. Knowing I can see Chanda every day, knowing that my work day ends at 4:30, knowing that my biggest worry is what to cook for supper or what is on t.v that night...these things can only relished knowing what you guys do and the sacrifices you all make. Many people say they have a great sense of pride in what you guys do...I know I have (always do!), but it is you that should have the greatest sense of pride. Knowing what you do takes a person with strength, courage, determination and leadership. These are qualities you and all of you exhibit daily. You should be proud.
    I look forward to seeing you home safe. See you soon!

    Team Prego - T Minus 5W4D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to hear that the time for you to come home is quickly approaching and the feelings that accompany this event must be overwhelming . there just isn't enough words to describe all the emotions that you go through daily for us and the Afghan people.we continue to pray for all of the soldiers to be safe and to come home looking forward to your homecoming speedy and safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Close you eyes and tap your heels together three times. And think to yourself, there's no place like home"

    Wizard of Oz.

    We wait and pray for you to land at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps when you have a few minutes, I would appreciate the names of your replacements. I would be honored to pray for them by name.

    ReplyDelete