Saturday, May 8, 2010

quick clearance

The last 5 days have seen the section back together as previously stated. It is certainly difficult not to count the days we have left out here, as it seems to slow the passing of the hours. I've been pretty good at ignoring the date as I have no idea what day of the week it is. All I know is what we will be doing over the next little while to finish off this job.

We got back to the PH after a final clearance of a village north of our position. There were people everywhere in the town and it is considered one of the more friendly villages. The kids were everywhere bummin water and anything they could get their grubby little hands on. I had one piece of my jerky and next thing I know an elder is distributing it among the wee ones around him. I simply gave it up to him. Then I was acting village quaff mixer. I brewed up some Gatorade for the wee ones and began handing them out. I usually do not give anything to them, however it is the last time I will be in that particular village. So I give them all a half a litre, except one little guy. All I had left was half a bottle so he got that. I did not have to speak their language to know what he was saying (unappreciative little bugger). We moved on and continued the clearance. On two occasions I had to boot the door in and on two occasions the same guy came out of nowhere and said I had demolished his door(s). We are not to go into any occupied compounds so we are quite often waiting for the ANA to confirm the occupancy. Well, these yahoos tell me on both doors that the buildings are empty. Wrong and wrong. The first one my foot went right through the weak wood.. Upon entering a cow greeted me and around the corner theres a group of women cookin something up. Whoops. We got outta there and were met by the owner and his kids. They were all scowling and stating that the ANA had already cleared it. Anyway, the very next compound, again, unoccupied I kicked a door in to the chagrin of the same guy who had just finished giving us shit. I quelled the situation with a little banter and a few cigarettes.

My group consisted of Red, Dorner, Maddin while the rest of the crew was pushing through the south side of town. Ole Hawk was ramroddin that side of the town.

We spent about half the day going through every compound finding a couple of uxo's and a few rifle magazines. Not much else was expected here as we've deemed it Taliban free from the start. Just one more task off the list of things to do in this last push.

The rest of the BG is already pretty much home and we still await the end. Soon enough I guess......

Not too much else on this end...for now..... out

3 comments:

  1. good blog Joel. Thanks I'm going to teach people how to drive today. a whole lot easier on the nerves han what you guys do . Keep safe soon the job will be done. love you. dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, great insight into life in the sandbox. I think of the you guys every day & give thanks that 11 Platoon were blessed to have you & your mates along for the ride. Be safe, I look forward to meeting you in Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel nice to hear from you always look forward to hearing about the day to day tasks and daily grind with the occasional need to be forceful and compassionate a great tribute to have and to keep your wits and humor about you. hope the next while will be go quickly and we're still praying for all of you to come home in a timely and safe manner cheers

    ReplyDelete